Thursday, July 17, 2008

No Riggers, but still manage quality Kings, July 17, 2008

Ron Arnold, his son Cole, my son Aidan and myself set out for waters west of where we have been getting fish, again to search out waters for the Salmon Dance Tournament on Saturday. We had a late evening start with lines in the water by 6:00 pm and out by 8:30 with dark thunderstorm clouds approaching before dusk.

We motored slowly out of Foran’s on a North East angle scanning for baitfish and without surprise the bait was from 35 FOW out to 50 FOW. We set up in 45 FOW roughly in front of Nelles Beach Park and trolled straight out. I set out the 7 colour first with Ron’s NK Mag Blue Dolphin that has been sitting on a lure hanger in his boat for I think years now. I get it in the rod holder and start to let out a second line when I seen in the corner of my eye the rod start to bend over a buck like mad. Fish On. Ron says “What, you got to be kidding me” and the rod was handed to him when the drag starting peeling out. Three good runs then we boated it, 24.1 lbs. We snapped a few shots, and then in the drink it goes. Get the rods in the water and missed a fish in the process on fullcore. Turned a 360 to come back through the area we just got the 24 and I set the fullcore out with an old discontinued bait that was good in it’s time for big fish. Super King sized Northern Dancer in blue/silver with a little bit of tap added to the cup side of the spoon that was purple and pink. Because we were in 50 FOW at the time I slowly let the full core ten colours Leadcore out by thumbing the spool for the last two colours so the big spoon would pick it up off the bottom. Sure enough the rod takes a violent slam in my hands and my thumb starts to warm quickly as it is still in free spool and it’s the only drag at the moment. Engage the reel and the clicker finally tells the tail of a drag scream. I fought the fish for nearly 20 minutes as it seemed to just keep dogging it down behind the boat. Boat the fish and it was my best in a few years. 27.4 lbs on the scale. Here’s the picture.

We took a bunch of other salmon below 12 lbs on 7 colour with Ron’s NK Mag Blue Dolphin, before pulling lines and coming in with ominous clouds approaching from the west.

Shane Thombs
www.FINtasticSportfishing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment