Monday, May 21, 2012

My Nephew's fish Salmon with Uncle Shane and cousin Aidan, May 21, 2012

I find myself short of time to get the most important people -family- out on the boat for a little fishing. Holidays help and this Victoria Day I was free to take my nephews Colin and Evan with my brother-in-law Joel and my son Aidan out for a late morning fish. Recent outings and reports have shown that the best bite is early (at dawn) and because this day was a little less about the bite and more about the experience on Uncle Shane's boat, we decided to make it a late start. 8:00 am we were off the dock and ready to start where I left off yesterday. As you can imagine, the bite was slow, but the boys took turns on a few fish. My 4 year old nephew Colin took a rainbow trout on 5 colour, and my 8 year old nephew near the end of the morning managed a fish he will not soon forget... The cohos were a little off the bite this morning and it was assumed that a few of the short strikes we had throughout the day were a result of those cohoc not taking the hook well. Cohos have been at center stage in reacent outings, but mature kings are a little more tricky to catch. You need to work water deeper then 180 feet down in order to connect with bigger black jaws. With the cohos off the bite, the idea to drop a downrigger to those depths was implemented to answer some of the great marks of fish we had shown on the SONAR in 220 feet of water.
From Misc
On May 21st, Victoria Day, my 8 year old nephew took the boat's deepest king ever using all but three more wraps of downrigger cable on the spool to catch this great fighting 26lb chinook.
From Photo_Gallery7
It was great seeing the kids enjoy the morning on Lake Ontario and besides catching a big fish, the boat ride was another highlight to the trip. Shane Thombs www.fintasticsportfishing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment