Monday, July 9, 2012

Kids can catch Kings too, July 9, 2012

When you fish upwards to 50 plus days a year, the bar is set high in what you would call the best day in years. Monday July 9th 2012 was one of those trips that reached the bar, but more importantly the best day in years was also experienced by two kids!

Over the weekend I attended a birthday party that my family had attended. My cousin Wayne was also there and I had mentioned that he and his 5 year old son George should come out fishing with me while I’m on holidays. On Monday afternoon the weather looked good and I texted my cousin to meet me down at the marina for 5:00pm.

Wayne pulled up at just after 5:00 and we were off the dock with lifejackets on the kids and ready to make our way out into the lake by 5:30pm. It was Wayne, his son George my 7 year old son Aidan and me to find our way to Lake Ontario Salmon waters.

We set up within 100 yards from the weathermarker in 110 feet of water and the light East South East winds were on our stern while I set up. Moments after the first rod was set, it went off. Flasher/fly down 60 ft found a jumping 6 lbs Rainbow Trout so George was first to catch his biggest fish to date.

He got the fish in and suddenly the wire diver on the port side starts peeling out line from an obviously heavy salmon. I give the rod to George again and he is cranking away at this great fish with a grin from ear to ear. Then the braid Diver on the starboard side of the boat starts ripping of line and buckled over. I get that set up for Aidan and he is sitting beside George in the “Box Seat” both battling two decent sized kings.

From Photo_Gallery8

George’s fish comes to the boat first and while in the net a lamprey is still attached. I pulled it off and Wayne put it in the bucket while we get the net ready for Aidan’s fish. We get Aidan’s fish in the boat also and it is a tank!

We measure them up and find George’s fish around 23lbs and Aidan’s a 28 lbs brute. This beat’s Aidan’s previous personal best by 6 lbs! Here’s the two fish before releasing them.

From Photo_Gallery8

At this point I realized I hadn’t turning the GoPro camera. I also hadn’t put my hat on yet since our ride out on the boat in fear of loosing it in the wind.

I will let the video speak for itself the kind of action the rest of our night experienced.

Wayne caught a number of salmon over 20 lbs and caught is personal best at 30.7 lbs!

From Photo_Gallery8

By this time we had trolled a straight line to infront of Fifty Point and the entire way we marked great schools of bait and great fish on the SONAR in 140 – 160 feet of water.

I was slowing down the spread at the end of the night clearing rods by fish and not putting them back in the water. The last fish was slightly over 20 lbs and the last two rods came in without fish by 8:20 and we were back to dock by 8:30 pm.

It was one of those evenings of fishing you will not forget anytime soon. I hope the kids will remember the fun we had that evening as well.

Shane Thombs
www.FINtasticSportfishing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment