Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Arnold and Thombs kids, Cheer, Laugh and share High Fives, August 1, 2012

My mother-in-law has terminal cancer. At 63 Years Old she is in the hospital and my wife is spending a great deal of spare time with her. It’s been a drag at home as well, kids are showing the effects of the added stress in the house and it was time to remove them from that for short period of time. My kids are young- my son is 7 and my daughter is 4. Both have been fishing with me, but this time I wanted friends to come along to make it even more special.

I called my buddy Ron and asked if he would like to bring his kids out on the boat. He has three kids, 9,7 and 4 and our kids have been able to play together since birth. Nancy, Ron’s wife was also able to go.

From Photo_Gallery11

This was a boat load, but because they were all very small kids- I have had bigger payloads with 5 adults. I reached the person number capacity, but well under the payload capacity. 

This was a fun evening where the Arnold clan met me and my kids dockside at 6:00 pm and we set off for a short evening trip. We boated out to 150 FOW and Ron helped me set lines and keep the boat straight. An easy task since the lake was flat calm. Good think because Nancy can get sea sick and there is no telling how all the kids would take a choppy day on the lake.

From Photo_Gallery11
From Photo_Gallery11

It wasn’t long before we started hooking up. 13.5 lbs Rainbow Trout came on a 300 ft Copper line rod with SpinDoctor NBK and Atommik Tournament Screamer Fly and some decent sized salmon caught on the downriggers were winched in by the kids as they all took turns battling fish after fish. Purple MC Rocket behind the large sized Bechold Flasher down 82 ft took three decent sized chinook salmon. Rainbows regularily took the M&M Glow coloured Yeck 88 set behind a 107 Walker Deeper Diver on 3 setting out 180ft on 30lb test braid.

Everyone one of the kids were bursting with excitement and the cheering section was loud and giggling. When Myra was on the reel fighting a 14 lbs Chinook Salmon all by herself, the kids chanted, “Go Myra Go- Go, Go, Go”. Myra wouldn’t stop laughing and there were highlights throughout the night that made each kid experience something extra special.

From Photo_Gallery9

It was a night of laughter, cheering, smiles and high fives, and opportunity to escape the stressful reality of watching a love one suffer with cancer. We ride through life with all its ups and downs; it’s nice to know you have the opportunity to break out of “the downs” with good friends enjoying a night of fishing on Lake Ontario.

Shane Thombs
www.FINtasticSportfishing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment